10.30.2009

just 말해요

I'm volunteering my apartment for a Halloween pregame. I'll see how much I regret this, though it appears that maybe only 10 people will come. Much better than the 20 that showed up to someone else's place when we got our first paychecks. Monday the students should be coming back to school. I somehow managed to not get ahead in most of my work. I should've been planning for the high school classes I run. I do have a surplus of some teacher training chapters done (my opinion is that the work book SUCKS, but I finally smartened up and am trying to create games that use concepts), and I'm about halfway done with typing example essays for an English writing contest for a blind student. Thank you FMLthe Frisky, and eonline for helping me be useless this week! 


And wow, do I want to burn that book. One topic is asking if students think there should be more male teachers in schools than there are and why. The general consensus is that yes, there should be more men because they can teach subjects that women can't. Like discipline. Man oh man, do I have a lot of problems with this, but I'm trying to exercise patience and understand that these are ESL students from another culture- another world sometimes- and that their real meaning in some places may be getting lost in translation. 


I still want to pull out my hair. Or theirs. First- discipline is not the best approach as it is, even if beating students is still legal here. Pleasepleaseplease ask yourself how you can manage students' behavior. Yes, this is a glorified way of saying behavior manipulation- the less you have to threat a student the better for all parties, I think. And the obvious point that gender doesn't automatically make you better at something doesn't even need to be elaborated on. 


OK, I can't get over it. I can barely type these damn essays, they just piss me off so much. 
Though this following statement, I didn't know if I felt like laughing or screaming:
"Moreover, if students are able to experience only with female students (really means teachers I think), there is a good chance for boys to get too girly."
So, with overexposure to women, boys run the risk of turning gay/effeminate. gotcha. well in that case, bring in the men! But then won't the girls turn butch?


I miss stupid places like Wal-mart and Target. I reaaaaally miss Martin's/ Giant food stores. I'm dying for a Banana Republic, and after reading an fml about someone in Old Navy- a trip there would be fab, too. Oh the places I would go. 


Last note- I've been curious about Paranormal Activity, with it's reviews of being the scariest movie in a long time. I've seen the trailer once with the sound muted. I also spoiled it for myself and read a synopsis. That said, I've scared myself awake 3 times because I started thinking about the ending in my sleep. (photo from /film)

No comments:

Post a Comment