10.22.2009

so last week

Okay! Last week was kind of not so crazy... it felt so in the moment. Monday was a birthday outing for a teacher, out  bowling, eating, drinking until midnight. Tuesday was John's birthday- he randomly picked a cool place that served a super spicy pork thing and bibimbap. Thursday out until midnight with my co-teacher and another teacher. We saw District 9 (I got an awful headache from the camera style and being too close to the screen...), ate dinner, and then rented a room where you can play Wii, watch TV, sing karaoke, or surf the internet. And the rooms are decorated CUTE. 


Friday I went to Daegu to visit a teacher who had been in a car accident. Though he and his wife were fine, they had to stay in the hospital. From what my co-teacher explained, it's policy for people to stay there until the situation is sorted out by insurance. Or something like that. 7 of us I think went down in a school van. Before leaving Daejeon, my co-teacher and another loaded up on beer, coffee, and food. Half of the ride down we played a hot-potato style game. There was a bee hive with slits in the side, and a bear that could be ejected out of the top. Okay, so this is more Russian Roulette. You take turns sticking bees into the slits, and one slit will eject the bear. You lose. We played for money, and later they collected the amount we lost, but I have no idea where the total pot went. After visiting our fellow staff member in the hospital, we took the him and his wife out to dinner... Ok, so I was told that this place served pork. The restaurant workers brought white squares of something jiggly, definitely NOT pork. It had the consistency of fat, a dirty aftertaste, and only after I ate it were the teachers willing to tell me where exactly it came from. Pig stomach. Nice. No, no. That's not meat. That's an organ. That's a pig part. That's something that isn't commonly eaten in America. Maybe it's just my opinion/assumption, but that's something seen as dirty. You digest food with stomachs. You make poo with intestines. I don't want to be eating pig poo pipes. No thank you. I'm done. Daegu traditional dish or not, the Daegu-ins could've picked a better meal. 


Daegu is 2 hours from Daejeon, I came back at 9:30 and was told to go to Timeworld- shopping/bar area in Daejeon that's about 30 minutes metro from me... and out until 2am. And the catch was that all week I wanted a nap. Never got it. Saturday out with a massive group after Indian food, didn't get it, settled for samgyupsal- the restaurant caught on fire or something, we evacuated, still had to pay in the smoke, and later ended up at 2 different bars. Apparently I'm making up for the college partying that I never did. 


Earlier this week one of my high school classes asked for my phone number. I complied, maybe 4 of them took it. Last night, one student called about 10 times, hanging up whenever I answered. When I texted him calling him out for being to scared to talk to me, I got a reply confirming this. Then I got another call from another student who explained that he had to write the text for the chicken student. okok. After saying goodbye to that crew, another student started texting me... haha the pains of being popular! 


And this morning I went on a field trip where students learned traditional Korean etiquette. They made me make and pour tea, and there was some serious invasive assistance going on. Also, my male co-teacher got dressed in a han-bok. The scary thing was that it was a good look for him. Some girl students who previously didn't really talk to me are starting to be more outgoing now, and I appreciate that. I've got to get some planning done for the high schoolers. I seriously feel like I'm pulling out my own teeth, it's so painful sometimes. The situation is bizarre and I'm trying to accommodate everyone, but I'm struggling with reaching each student in a fair way.


My nephew's first birthday is in a few weeks, and I've been on a desperate search for something "cute and Korean looking." Fail so far. There's a toy store I'm hoping to visit today where I hope to be more fortunate. I could also use more sweaters... it's chilly these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment