7.18.2010

15 hours of mudfest

Okay, I know I know, I was lame and left mudfest early, and that it cleared up and was awesome, and I'm really glad that the weather cleared up for everyone there! And I'm glad to hear/read (thanks, FB!) that everyone also had a blast! :) I'm glad I went, even though I wasn't there for long and only saw the rain, but I had a lot of fun Friday night on the beach and the next morning. I do wish I had gotten to do a little more there, but honestly, I don't regret leaving in the afternoon. 


Here's my brief report of the bit of mudfest that I got to experience for you in the states :)
1. Friday night about 40 people from Daejeon or near Daejeon piled onto a bus and rode 2 hours west to a beach area called Daecheon. We arrived around midnight, checked into our hotels or minbaks (rooms meant for large groups of people). Most everyone went down to the beach. There were two giant sets of blue lights shining out towards the water- it made the beach look really cool because though you could see, it was still dark and shadowy. The beach was seriously windy, and the sound of the waves! I like being on the beach at sundown or at night listening to the waves. While on the beach, there was a downpour. It was awesome.
2. Saturday morning: everyone where I slept was awake by 8:30. I thought it was later because it had been raining heavily off and on for a few hours, and when I cracked my eyes open during the first rain, it was light out. With a few other people, I walked down the beach and towards the mud festival. By the time we got there- around 10 am, it was raining again and super windy. We only did a couple of things- a blow up obstacle course and a giant inflated slide. We were cold and tired of being wet, so we walked back to get a short reprieve. There was a second slide, some mud wrestling rings, a "mud prison" where someone sprayed you down, and some other muddy things. I didn't see a mud pit, or big area of mud like I was expecting due to seeing pictures of past festivals. Maybe that's from everyone being on the beach?
The afternoon is about when I wussed out. I saw some of the others from the group I came with, and some were just going to the festival, an others were going back. I was on the fence about putting my dripping clothes back on and going back, while someone else was already decided about finding a bus back to Daejeon. I could've gone back I think for the rest of the afternoon, and I kind of wish I did to do some more of th inflatable things, but I wasn't sure what I'd do the next day until the bus left in the afternoon because I knew I didn't want to go back down on Sunday. Ideally, I would've liked to hang out Saturday afternoon and leave in the evening, but I either had to leave right then or stay to the end. I'm pretty sure that if I stayed, I'd resent and regret coming at all, and I wanted to leave having had a good time. Also, the 2 people I could count on hanging out with were leaving, so that kind of helped in sealing my decision. 
And honestly, that bathroom really freaked and grossed me out. It was a combination squat toilet and shower complete with spiders, slugs, and mosquitoes floating around. The princess in me couldn't handle that (sorry!). Also, really- even though the weather cleared up, I'm not the type of person who can be wet, dirty, and still happy all day. Sadly, I'm not really a beach person- my attention span for it only lasts half a day, and then I'm craving to leave. 
I'm definitely glad that I went, and should I go back next year, I'd do a day trip if it's possible, or come late at night again and leave at the end of the next day should there be inter city buses running. So, I look forward to hearing the others' stories of their spelunking while I scratch at the 20+ mosquito bites that I got to take back with me. My bug repellent was out by Saturday morning. :(  It's weird, over today, the red welts started appearing and driving me crazy, so I apparently did not escape with a small handful like I first thought. Korean mosquitoes are bitches. 


So now, my school "ends" on Wednesday, and summer school starts Thursday. My co-teacher sent me a email today with a list of things he wants me to do in 2 weeks. 
1. Record phonics, which I can only assume means the lists of words he uses to "teach" students how to read English
2. Record 50 stories. 2 times each. I call BS on this one because I should have had this assignment sooner. I have to restart whenever I screw up, which is often, so it takes forever.
3. Type out other audio stories into text files.
I am definitely happy to have work to keep me occupied though. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment