3.03.2010

점심 matters and some 사랑 (love) for Korea

It just dawned on me that I really do kind of hate the food at school. The soup is usually some form of fish water or seaweed water. Today was particularly awful to me, it looked like algae water. Water from an old pool, but it smelled like dead fish. Or sometimes the soup looks good, until the ladle brings up a tentacle from the murky depths of the pot... And vegetable matter. (Today's was yummy though, fried lotus root. mmm, fried things.) Oh, the many kinds of fermented plants. No wonder Koreans brush their teeth after every meal! :)


On the other hand, Korea also has numerous tasty things that are far more foreign-palate friendly/ picky eater friendly, as I am. 


Like Sunday, eating the usual post late night weekend recovery lunch at Mandoo (만두), I ordered a new dish. It was described as a noodle soup with pork dumplings, and it looked delicious when it came. And I just about freaked out when I stirred up a shellfish. Sadly, seafood and I just don't get a long... it's a torment/hate thing.


Yesterday, a teacher came up to me and said something in Korean. I caught the word for "face" somewhere in his talking, but I had no idea in what context he was talking about my face. Then he stopped talking and just looked at me. Cue in awkward laugh, smile, and subtle gesture that this conversation has miserably failed and we both know it. Nope, still just looking. Nice man, though. 


Okay, here's some things I love about Korea since I've been complaining a lot. 
1. Public transportation. At least, once you figure out the bus schedule a bit. You have to be willing to spend a lot of time in transit though, or else never leave home. But you could really survive here without ever owning a car!
2. The food overall. It's generally much healthier, less salty, usually less processed, and cheaper in restaurants. Breaking into some Korean recipes has revealed the secrets to some sauces, and ingredients really aren't so bad!  Now if I could only get something to taste Korean...
3. The money. It's colorful. I saw some American bills the other day, and man they're ugly!
4. Phone charms. So. Cute.
5. Tax free shopping and restaurant bills/ no need to tip. I'm spoiled. 
6. The flat metal chopsticks. 
7. Stationary stores
8. The fashion
9. Sensory overload parts of town
10. Cheap entertainment
11. Cost of living. So low. It's robbery in America.
12. The occasional friendly bus driver who says hello or welcome
13. The weirdness of it all that keeps life here amusing.


I'm rounding up the courage to get a body wave perm today. Hair salons are also about half the price or less to get things done here. Woman's hair cut? About $15. For a styled cut, with some extra perks thrown in that I've heard about like tea, snacks, and/or massages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment