3.18.2010

shopping for those beloved brands back home

Browsing The Kimchi Chronicles, a blog I stumbled on this morning, I noticed the author said that American Eagle ships to Korea. It really does! In this excitement, I'm going to take a moment(read: all day)  to shamelessly indulge my favorite thing with a list of American/western brands that ship internationally, as well as some places to escape to the next time you're in Seoul. 


1. American Eagle Like I mentioned, courtesy of Kimchi Chronicles, there's a slew of countries this company ships to. Supposedly with Korea, you can order up to $150 of merchandise before being charged import tax. I just placed an order today for some warm weather staples- and since I'm splitting the shipping cost with John, it really isn't such a bad rate.
2. Victoria's Secret International shipping rates start at $28. If you're in Japan, the rates are slightly different. 
3. Threadless For the hipsters and unique t-shirt lovers, shipping rates aren't listed, but its international shipping is an option.
4. Hot Topic 'Cause you know, some people have a goth side, hidden emo side, or you want to get your Alice in Wonderland gear. I have to say, I'm impressed this store ships overseas. 
5. Forever 21 There is a location in M Plaza in Myongdong, Seoul. I haven't been yet, but I'm hoping to after next payday. My going out wardrobe needs a warm weather pick me up, and I'm accepting the fact that it can consist of cheaper clothing. 
6. H&M Recently opened at Noon Square in Myongdong, apparently where Zara already is. Another place I'd like to visit, though honestly, I was never super impressed with the price you paid for what you got there. 
7. Hollister Seriously? Seriously? While not a fan of this store, I mean... seriously? It really ships to South Korea and a slew of other countries (like Saudi Arabia) for pretty reasonable rates. Granted, I didn't bother reading anything about customs policies for this company.
8. Eddie Bauer My brother was once a fan of this rugged look store. I'm not sure if he still cares about it, but it's always reminded me of him (and my mom going there for Christmas shopping). There's a very small list of countries the company doesn't ship to (Afghanistan, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Central African Republic, Cuba, Georgia, Ghana, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Mexico, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Senegal, Serbia, Somalia, Sudan, and Vietnam).  So if you're the out door-sy type who needs to get your rugged McLumber look on in SoKo, here's your outlet! Because, really now. Korean men's fashion is definitely far from out door hard core. And by the way, EB has a women's line, too.
9. Wet Seal Here's another store whose name I thought I'd Google just to see. And it ships to more than 80 countries. If stores like this and Hot Topic will ship overseas, why can't places like New York and Co. or Banana Republic (yeah, I know there's one in Seoul...) or the LOFT? Those were my kindly affordable go-to places for work attire... well, my entire wardrobe in general. 
10. Yankee Candle I could just keep saying "seriously?" with these. I have family in Massachusetts, and we used to visit the Yankee Candle Co. store after Christmas day to see all the big sales. International shipping rates are $36 for orders under $100, and 36% of your total order beyond that. As usual, your order might be subject to import taxes. 
11. bebe Supposedly, based on the international shipping info, there isn't a country this brand doesn't ship do. 
12. Gymboree Well, if you have kids, or if you're kid-sized, you can have Gymboree ship its products to South Korea. Yeah.
13. Teavana For tea lovers/ snobs.
14. Banana Republic Somewhere in Apgujeong-dong (can't find directions, sorry!), though in the US, the outlets were the better place to visit because the prices were exponentially friendlier. They also had an exponentially better selection. I imagine the Korean Banana prices are pure thievery. There's also a Gap in Seoul, several actually, and I've seen a Gap/Hollister/Nike combination store in Daejeon. Totally weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment