6.16.2010

buh.buh.buh.

There's a man who recently began a "society re-entry" program at my school. He sought me out a while ago to talk to me, explaining why he's here blah blah, and mentioned something about getting a meal together, though at the time, the why was unclear. Last week, he came looking for me again during the school's festival and asked again about getting lunch or dinner or whatever, and I was flaky about it. Yesterday, he called the teacher's office looking for me, and mentioned a specific day to get lunch. I said I didn't know, to which he said he'd call again on Friday. 



Buh. It's because he wants to use me to practice his English. Maybe it's how it comes through translation, but he comes off as your stereotypical older Korean man... he wants to run the conversation, which I guess is fine so I don't actually have to talk that much. Even if I wanted to, his listening skills are terrible- he barely understands anything I say. But he made a comment that put me off- the school held a cooking contest during it's festival thing, and he made me go to his team's tent. They shared some of what they made with me, and I asked him what the dish's name was. His answer: "I don't know the name of it because I don't cook. I'm not a housewife."


Uh, yeah okay, I'm gonna go peace out now. 


Honestly, I'm hoping he won't actually inquire about lunch again, but I'm also thinking if I get it done this weekend, maybe that will be it. Buuuuuh. These people who look at us English speaking foreigners as prime opportunities to exercise their language skills... I'm curious to know if they think it's fun for us. Because I'm gonna say that for me, in situations like this, it's definitely, seriously not. Just a whole lotta awkward. And really now, this scenario: a middle aged man with a 24 year old female out in public alone is just WEIRD and inappropriate! Anyone? Or is that really just me?

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I wouldn't do it with an older man or woman either. Henry does with one of Kat's coteachers and it's just weird to me. With people our age that we can actually relate to, it's fine. There's more than just "English practice" to do, and there are actually things to talk about. Plus, this dude's a traditional Korean male, which means sexist and probably a creeper. I wouldn't be comfortable alone with him, at least...I've seen how these old shits leer. You'd probably be the first one on one contact he's had with a woman in a while. I'd just make an excuse and get out of it. Keep having "appointments" as they say her. Whip your balls out or whatever it is that Harris said. And slap him in the face with 'em.

    ReplyDelete