6.21.2010

on old people

Gawker has an article re-posted from a blog, which briefly discussing the fact that some old Korean people actually beat or verbally harass others out of the seats that are meant to be priority for elderly, pregnant women, or people with disabilities. It concludes with the fact that usually in American subways, younger or better fit people will generally give up their seats for older people; a subtle implication that the Korean youth have no regard for the country's ancient population. But, living in Korea with a foreigner's perspective, I have to say that I can't blame anyone for not wanting to give up their seat to an old crotch who comes up and immediately starts demanding their spot. 


Old people cut in lines. Everywhere. It pisses me off, and I'm not going to accept this little aspect about Korea even though the culture-sensitive side of me feels obligated to. Efffffff that. Watch out if you're waiting for the bus because they strategize when to sneak up from behind and get in front, or they'll just outright shove you aside to get on first. Then it's a mad dash to any available seats. By a thin margin, I have more understanding for the buses, as the drivers are crazy and you either hang on for dear life or fly. I always have to fight the urge to mow them down when I'm at the door, and then an old broad squeezes in front. I mean... seriously? 


I've never seen anyone fight over seats in Daejeon or during my visits to Seoul- though if you're going to see it, the bigger cities are where to be. I was a witness to an ancient bitch trying to steal the chair from beneath a foreigner during the lantern parade. Repeatedly. I wanted to deck her. So I mean, if you're at home kind of appalled that younger Koreans are in the old people seats and not immediately giving them up, just imagine what you'd be inclined to do if someone with a scary wrinkly old face and little beady angry eyes hobbled over like Smeagol and then started yelling at you. Then, consider American old people. Usually, much more demure, polite, and thankful that you are going to give them your seat. Old Koreans- a lot of them- expect it. Bitches. 


Of course, there are the outliers who are (or do a good job pretending) surprised that someone is being so generous. And if you missed the link earlier, check out the article in it's original home HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment