6.10.2010

MBLAQ: Y... uh, why?

*this is not a light-hearted post


I saw MBLAQ's "Y" music video on TV a couple days ago, and by the end, "wtf" was scrolling across my brain. It starts out with a guy being emo and heartbroken over an apparently failed relationship. Eventually after a lot of crying and warm-fuzzy-glowy memories, he finds her in a club and shoots her. Then he cries on a bridge about what he just did. How romantic. I don't know, you can tell me to get over it because it's fiction, and just meant to entertain for 4 minutes. You could argue that domestic violence is in movies and TV, so if I don't like it in MBLAQ's new music video, I should also be ranting that it shouldn't exist in entertainment at all. You can tell me that you think it's freaking awesome. Yeah, whatever, tell me whatever you want. It's your opinion, so I can respect that.

I can't exactly verbalize why I don't think it belongs in a music video, it just feels wrong. And with the help of a translated version, you can see that the video takes a very literal interpretation of the lyrics. The music itself is about wanting revenge over a bad romance (Gaga, I hope this isn't the kind that you were rah-rahing about), and so now the message undoubtedly says: "Well, if you hurt my feelings, I'm going to kill you." 


Korean censorship has kicked in, and apparently, it's been requested that an edited version of the video be released (sans gun). However, Korea being prudish also has problems with the sex-related content (kissing and 2 people in a bed under the blanket). Brief article here.


For what I say next, I apologize if I trigger negative feelings in anyone. Click the link if you want to finish reading and/or see the music video.


Maybe it's because this video in a way glorifies or oversimplifies real cases like Chris Brown and Rihanna- which this has unfortunately already turned into a wealth of jokes. This recent case which could be a mirror to MBLAQ's video. Or what happened at VA Tech. 


Sure this video is fiction. But it's a romanticized take on something horrific that in reality isn't romantic at all. So in my opinion, all this does is contribute to the desensitization to something that we shouldn't be immune to.


No comments:

Post a Comment