5.14.2010

Teacher's Day in Korea

If you're following me on Google Buzz, I apologize for spamming it! 

Tomorrow is teacher's day. As I've said before, lately, I learn about special school events through students. No different this time, when a student was saying that his classmate was preparing for a performance that was meant for teachers. Eh? Walking into the auditorium, students were lined up to make a pathway and applauded as teachers filed in. It was interesting to say the least. A few students performed and then there was a special 4 person group from somewhere performing some music on a keyboard, cello, flute, and a Korean traditional instrument. A vocalist came out for a couple songs, and I recognized one; a song I played way back when I was in the elite-super-cool-atthetime instrumental ensemble in elementary school. I played the song on a recorder and the name I knew it by was "Korean Folk Song." haha, I felt so cool back then. I love the cello's sound. I wonder if there's any place in the city where I can get music lessons in an instrument... Teachers got little baskets with some carnations in them. A few students I think were competing to give me a basket. I don't remember really but just that a basket was forcibly thrust into my hands by someone in between the second that some other students realized it was me. 


Honestly, I don't know anything about Teacher's Day, but I'm just going to assume it's a day where they get honored. Last week we had Children's Day and Parent's Day- a combined Mother and Father's day. My co-teacher was surprised to hear that America has a day for each parent. He likes Korea's way better because you don't have to shop twice for gifts. Is there a Teacher's Day in the states? 

1 comment:

  1. Teacher's Day in the States was a couple weeks back. But I don't think most districts do anything about it. And the only reason I know about it is because we always look up what random holidays are coming up.

    ReplyDelete