5.31.2010

tragedy strikes!

One of my big hopes was just massacred and smeared across the floor, so I'm going to take a few minutes to properly mourn and then move on. 


I was really hoping to be able to move this summer into a smaller and newer apartment, in a location that is closer to the middle of Daejeon. It takes FOREVER for me to get anywhere, my apartment is ancient, it never got warm during the winter unless I holed up in 1 room, and I don't even know where to start to make it bug proof for the looming mosquito season. And with the 2 floor gas pipe problems, the busted water pipe, and the recent electric bill that went up 3 times it's normal with no reasonable explanation, I'm not looking forward to seeing what else will go wrong during the next year. 


After talking to my co-teacher, moving isn't an option. When it was confirmed they'd get a native English speaker, the school I guess got overexcited for the future and signed a 2 year contract with the ancient ruins I currently live in. This was so there'd be a home for future teachers. I'm not sure how thrilled those future teachers will be to live here, though. So this is the number one reason that's grounding me to my apartment for a second year, but my co-teacher discussed some other reasons. 


1. For the price, it is extremely difficult to find as much space without it being too expensive. I can appreciate their desire to give me as big a place as possible. Honestly. But I also would've been happier with someplace smaller, newer, and more bug proof. 
2. The vice and main principal "care about my daily life" and think it's better that I live close to the school so I don't have to use public transportation. To this I think, please let me decide that for myself. This location makes the rest of my life extremely difficult. I want to take Korean language classes next fall, and from here, the commute will take at least 1.5 hours. 
3. Key money is an issue. Basically you have to put down an enormous deposit, which my school did apparently, when you sign the contract. It can be hard to find an apartment that accepts monthly rent- an officetel (the type of apartment I was hoping to move into) would've been a good place to check. 
4. All the furniture the school got to fulfill the contract requirements. It'd be a hassle to move, but it wouldn't be the school's... 


I had a fleeting moment of anger after the conversation- not directed at anyone, just the anger that is immediately wiped out with that annoying sad and hopeless feeling. There's nothing that can be done about my living situation, and after hoping for so long that I could move, I'm just really sad about it now. The thought of trying to get my own apartment anyway crossed my mind, but obviously that's not realistic. Now I can just hope that my boyfriend will be able to move (he currently lives in a 1 room, tiny place that has nothing around it), so then there is still a way to live in a better location and escape the bugs and heat during the summer. 


buh. I'm sad about this. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment