4.26.2010

shopping in Myeongdong!

in Yongsan, where John likes to look for video games
Man oh man, do I love Myeongdong in Seoul. The streets in the shopping district were jammed with people, and we got pushed around a lot by shoppers, but there's sooo much to see! Mixed in with the big corporate stores here are the Korean boutiques, and the nice thing about shopping in this city is when you open your mouth and English comes out- more often than not, the Korean associates know enough to help you or understand what you're talking about. I cruised through Forever 21 and it reminded me again why I really kind of hate the store. I would've loved to have one nearby when I was in high school I think, or if I partied more in college. Ultimately, Saturday I was looking for clothes I could wear both to work and on weekends so I could buy less. I'm trying to stock up for the summer season when I won't want to go into stores and be a nasty sweaty shopper. The AC is turned a lot lower in Korea than at home, so if you're already hot from being outside you'll probably stay hot once you go in and there's little air circulation. 


one of the Seoul subway stops, underground
And I did find the H&M at last! We had to ask for directions; John went into a Dunkin Donuts. It's tucked away deep into Myeongdong, conveniently next to a Krispy Kreme so John got his glazed doughnut fix for the day. That place was super crowded, 3 floors of tables, all filled, so we sat on a windowsill by the staircase. H&M was crazier than the streets- a sales associate queued up a line outside because the store was too crowded. Absolutely insane. 


We ended the day in an Indian restaurant in the heart of the shopping area. It was a really nice place; dark and quiet- completely opposite of the madness outside. 
Some pictures from the day:
In Myeongdong, this crowd was constant throughout the day
Looking the other way
Seoul Station, the KTX to Daejeon is on the right. We're heading back. 

Agar, the Indian restaurant in Myeongdong. Amazing food and atmosphere. 

Oil lamps in front of Agar's front doors

No comments:

Post a Comment