4.28.2010

at last, some results!

Studying Korean independently 3 nights a week, 3 days in a row was overkill. Some seriously serious overkill. We originally planned to meet for 2 hours each night, but immediately found out that we really couldn't handle more than 1.5 hours. Even then, we were fading at the 1 hour mark. So this week we cut it down to 2 hours and took away the pressure to complete an entire chapter in a night. Thank you, friend for being as lazy as I am! Despite slimming down our studying time, I'm finding I'm understanding more words I hear. Even more rewarding is the occasional brief exchange between people in the school that I half-consciously process and then in my head a bomb goes off, the confetti flies, trumpets play and a little voice screams "you understood that!" 
Here's the example!
Yesterday afternoon the vice principal was frantically (sounded frantic at least) looking for someone, and she asked the teachers' office if that person had left. To which, 2 teachers simultaneously replied that no, the person had not left yet. My friend and I had just studied how to negate verbs, and I witnessed a perfect example of verb negation! 
The Korean exchange:
VP: (person's name) 갔아요? (Did this person leave?)
2 Teachers: 안  갔아요! (This person didn't leave!)


Winter doesn't seem to want to let go of Korea. We have some nice days sprinkled between cold, windy, rainy days. Mostly since the usual prime time spring weather days came around it's been somewhere in the 50s, raining or not. Today feels more like 40s, and as per usual, it's raining. Gross. I'm still holding out hope that the weather will warm up and we'll see some spring before the sun explodes in Korea and the monster mosquitoes come out. 
Behind the cut: some Korean writing I tried. Google translate skews some of what I wrote, but I think everything except for one sentence is mostly accurate... I really just blurted out whatever I knew I had the vocab for, so if you dump it into translator, don't be surprised if it doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. ^^

2010, 428
오늘 영어수업 세개를 가르쳤어요.
추운날씨를 었어요!
오늘 오후에 선생님 영어training있었어요.
선생님가 식단표를읽었어요. 그럼 음식도말했어요.
재밌었어요, 그럼 선생님은재미도했어요.
지난주말, 명동에쇼핑했어요.
명동에서 치마를샀어요. 드레스를샀어요. 그래고 신발도샀어요!
다음주에 중간고사를있어요.
지금 일을없어요.
학교에서 일을 재미없어요!
지금 피곤아요. ㅠㅠ
Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment