4.26.2010

trying a DIY craft: cherry blossom lanterns

Most of Sunday, I worked on some craft ideas to decorate my bland apartment. A couple of weeks ago I bought white paper lanterns and was planning to sticker them to death until I thought that gluing patterned tissue paper would be more classy. I was SO right. I love lanterns. I also love cherry blossoms. So I married the two and made my own custom cherry blossom lanterns with a silly little twist: the blossoms are purple! I made a quick template of a blossom and cut a million out. The most annoying part I think was gluing all the darn flowers, but it was definitely worth it, and ultimately, I enjoy these tedious crafts. I did a design for each lantern; 1 branch with blossoms blowing off, a sprawling mini tree, and my last one was to break up the branchy-ness of it all and also a result of my patience waning. It was just the flowers stuck at random across the entire lantern. But I think it goes pretty well with the other two. Here are the results!
Hanging in my middle room
I also glued some patterned paper on small canvases. I want to hang them in my bedroom to fill some space on the gaping whiteness that I sleep across. First, I need hooks, so when they go up, photos will follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment